Royal Marines Association North Devon

ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE

Minutes published latest first.  Scroll down to the month you want.


July


June


May


April


March


February


January

Branch Minutes for July 2017.

 

A Summary of the Branch BBQ July 14th 2017 held at the Water Sports Centre RMB Chivenor.

 

35 members gathered on a pleasant July evening at the Water Sports Centre for our annual BBQ.  We had 20 apologies.  It was good to see Nick and Beth Trantham, Mick Narbs and Spud and Nicki.  A big thank you to Col Shearsby for the admin in getting food, refreshments and chef arranged and then running the bar.  A big thank you also the RN Chief Chef Ian for his culinary expertise on the old fashioned charcoal barbi.  As is the Chairman’s way he took a little of the evening up with updating members on various things RMA and thanks to Roli, who provided the entertainment with his Survival Road Show.   The raffle raised £95.

 

Support:

  • The Chairman had the sad duty to inform all that Evelyn Coates had passed away 2 weeks ago after a long period of ill health.  The Chairman also informed the gathering of the funeral arrangements. A moments silence was held to reflect on Evelyn’s life
  • The chairman also read out a thank you card from May Baddick for all the support the branch has given both before and since Tommy’s passing.
  • The Support Team continue to keep a watchful eye on 10-12 people.  Bruce and Phil are sharing the work in support for those who need it. 
  • As usual if there is anyone we should know about; can you let Bruce or I know.

 

 

Accounts:

  • Branch Account: £2,918.53          Charity Account: £6,900.31              Social Account: £0.00
  • The money from the Sainsburys’ Challenge (£6,225.57) will be banked and a cheque sent to the RMC in due course.
  • The money raised at the RM Shop £350.00 will be held in the branch account and sent off when we end the shop activity this year.

 

Chairman’s Report covered the following items:

More detailed information can be found in the main minutes.

  • Armed Forces Week
  • The Legion d’Honneur presentation
  • The Regional AGM and RMA/RMC Merger Road
  • Sainsbury’s Challenge
  • Proposed annual donation to SSAFA North Devon

 

What’s Coming Up:

  • August Branch Meeting -11th at 1800 at Bideford Rugby Club.

 

 Other Events for your Diary:

  • The Mariners Arms, Braunton Families Day - August 19th.
  • RMA Reunion – Sept 16th& 17th.
  • Barnstaple Marathon – 24th September.
  • The Long Swim.
  • MFM 2018 – 9th & 10th March 2018.

 

 

Committee Meeting Minutes July 2017.

  • Accounts:
    • Branch: £2,918.53
    • Charity: £6,900.31 (£6,225.57 will be going to the RMC this is the money collected during the Sainsbury’s Challenge)
    • Social: £0.00 (All monies paid out for the Regimental Dinner)

 

  • Support:
    • The funeral for Evelyn Coates was held on Monday 17th July at Barnstaple Crematorium.  Evelyn had been unwell for quite a while but always put on a brave face. Unable to attend many branch meetings Evelyn still made the effort to do what she could and her last branch outing was to attend the Seniors Post Christmas Lunch.  There was an Honour Guard of RMA and serving RM’s and the standard paraded to give Evelyn the send off she deserved, a fitting tribute to a lovely lady and founder member of the branch.  Our thoughts are with Cliff  Jennifer and the family at this sad time.
    • May Baddick sent a card of thanks to the branch for all the kind thoughts and flowers following the passing of Tommy.
    • Bruce and Phil with help from others continue to carry out this vital work.  We have 12 primary members on our watch list along with our “Old and Bold’ and widows who we are in touch with.
    • Anyone who knows of someone who may need a visit please get in touch.  The Support Office contact and procedure is in the previous minutes.

 

  • Report of Recent Events:
  • Armed Forces Week went well with a good turnout for the Flag raising at Bideford and representation at the Chivenor Open Days where Roger and Jenny Staines and team ran the RM Shop for the first time.  Takings were around £350.00 and we plan to run the shop at Instow Families Day and probably the Mariners.
  • The Legion d’Honneur presentation went well with 9 recipients and 60 guests.  3 former RM’s, Billy Baverstock and Alf Bolt from the branch were recipients.
  • The RMA/RMC Merger and SW Regional AGM: The Branch Chairman and President (SW Trustee) attended this event with the presentation given by the DCGRM, Brigadier Spencer, The Corps RSM, WO1 Gilby, and the 2 Chief Execs – Mike Ellis (RMA) and Jonathan Ball (RMC).  Having listened to the presentations it is the opinion of the Chairman and President that there are many benefits to the Association. The Chair and President considered that there could be no justifiable argument against such a move.  The over riding fact is at branch level there will be no change to the way we in North Devon run our branch.  The name of the new Charity will incorporate the Royal Marines Association.  The Chairman has a comprehensive Q&A sheet about the merger and can provide this on request.  We will also try to scan the document to the branch website.  Assuming all legal compliances are completed satisfactorily; all full members of the Association will be invited to vote on the final proposals using the One Man One Vote system.  If the vote is in favour of the merger it is likely to take place early in 2018.
  • Sainsbury’s Challenge: This went very well.  Although takings were down on previous years the enthusiasm and generosity of the public was again excellent.  The store did say the footfall has been down for the last 7 months.  The cafe was also closed which meant those who normally come in through the day to eat weren’t coming in.  Nonetheless – Sainsbury’s were very pleased and without a request has invited us back next year.  My thanks to all who volunteered.  We had outstanding support from branch and the Unit.  I had to stand people down due to possibly too many buckets on occasions and nowhere to send them for a break.  Again a big thank you to the branch – a great event again.

 

 


    • Global Challenge Support for 24 Cdo RE – 19th and 20th July. A group of branch members were called upon at short notice to support 24 Cdo with their leg of the Global Challenge in Barnstaple and Braunton..  As usual we didn’t let them down.
    • Mess Summer Ball – 22nd July:  There was a table of 10 branch members who enjoyed the hospitality of the Mess at their annual summer bash.  The theme this year was Latin American.
    • 11 ATT Instow Weekend 29th & 30th July: By the time you receive these minutes this event will be upon us. Those who have expressed a wish to attend the Families day and the BBQ have been advised.  Unfortunately the places for those who just wanted to attend the 1st part  had to be withdrawn.  This was due to an admin error made on the Base.  They apologise and in way of compensation have offered an exclusive day out for the branch – to be arranged.  We will still have our stand there and will (weather permitting) attend the regatta on the Sunday where the base will have their equipment on display.  I believe the regatta Day starts at 1300.

 

What’s Coming Up?

  • August Branch Meeting -11th at 1800 at Bideford Rugby Club.  There will be a small charge for this and the club bar will be open.  We will probably run this as a   Bingo/Quiz night.
  • The Mariners Arms, Braunton Families Day - August 19th.  We held the first one last year.  The intention is to raise funds for RM Charities.  Roli’s Road Show along with a Med Squadron display, Splat the Rat, The Stocks  and other items of entertainment will be available.  There will be a live band and BBQ with 0.50p per sale going to the Charity.  Again a small number of volunteers are needed but all the branch are welcome to attend.  This is a free event but normal bar and BBQ prices apply

 

 

 Other Business:

  • Christmas Appeal Collections.  As stated last meeting the committee wanted to ensure all cap badges in the branch could benefit from our collections.  Therefore the committee has agreed to make an annual donation to SSAFA from our Christmas Appeal.

 

Other Events for your Diary:


    • WO&SNCO’s Mess Beer Festival – Sept 9th. This event is being run by the Mess.  It starts at 1300 with free beer, cider and wine, an engraved tinkered, BBQ, Hog Roast, Bands and children’s entertainment all for £10.  Unfortunately there was a cut off of the 21st July.  The Unit  leave is the 28th July until 28th August.  If you would like to attend there maybe an option to get late places (but no promises)  Please advise the Chairman asap.
    • RMA Reunion – Sept 16th& 17th. I know of 10-12 of us who are attending.  This is open to all and access to CTC is by bar-coded ticket only, which is free.  The band concert, evening buffet/dance on Saturday night and buffet on the Sunday after the parade are chargeable at  £5 per person for each event.
    • Barnstaple Marathon – 24th September. We will be providing marshalling and a water station on the airfield again this year.  As the route is changed with the airfield being early in the race we will get to finish earlier than usual Colin is running with this and will be looking for volunteers in due course.
    •  The Long Swim.  The Chairman with assistance from another Ex Serviceman will be swimming across Bideford Bay (or an equivalent distance/time) sometime between August and September in aid of Royal Marines Charities.  There is a website at www.justgiving.com/john-peel1 if you would like to help in reach his £1000 target for the RMA’s  100 Challenges by 100 Members.

 


    • MFM 2018 – 9th & 10th March 2018. I have the advanced booking form and have names of 10 people attending. This year they have dropped the Thursday evening concert and replaced it with a matinee on Saturday.  There is a cut off of 11th August to make to take advantage of the preferential booking offer.

 

The next Branch Meeting will be held at Bideford Rugby Club,  Victoria Park on the 11th August at 1800. 

A buffet (a small charge will apply) will be provided for this evening and we plan to run a Quiz and Bingo night. 

Numbers to John Peel by the 8th August.

Branch Minutes for June 2017.

 

A Summary of the Branch Meeting June 16th 2017 held in the Sergeants’ Mess RMB Chivenor.

 

Following a pasta dinner 25 members sat down for branch business.  There were 21 apologies.  There Chairman commenced by welcoming new member former RM John Grebby.  John served in the 1960’s before being medically discharged.  He served with L Coy, 42 Cdo on the Limbang Raid.  John has just moved into the area.  Welcome to him.  We also welcomed back JC Bowden, who recently has had an out of step heart, this was duly rectified but has changed step again so JC is due some more shock treatment.  With us as well was Pete Johnson, our newly recruited handyman and in the coming months we will work out how best to use Pete’s services.  Following the business a documentary about the Operation Frankton (the Cockleshell Hero’s) was shown.  The raffle raised £76.00 which the Treasurer proposed should be a branch donation to the paddle to Lundy that John Peel and Edd Sambrook have now completed for the SBSA.  This was agreed unanimously. 

 

Support:

  • Billy Baverstock we understand may have been discharged from hospital.
  • We continue to keep a watchful eye on 10-12 people.  Bruce and Phil are sharing the work in support for those who need it. 
  • As usual if there is anyone we should know about can you let Bruce or I know.

 

Accounts:

  •  Branch Account: £2428.46 Charity Account: £345.75 Social Account: £2084.90

 

Chairman’s Report covered the following items: More detailed information can be found in the main minutes.

  • The Schools Visit to 11 ATT(RM), Instow
  • The Global Challenge
  • The Branch Regimental Dinner
  • Security on Camp

What’s Coming Up:

  • Sainsbury’s 2017 – 3rd-7th July

Other Events for Your Diary:

  • WO&SNCO’s Mess Summer Ball – 22nd July
  • 11 ATT(RM), Instow Open Weekend – 29th/30th July
  • July BBQ(14th) & August (11th) Branch Meetings
  • The Mariners Arms Families Day in August
  • RMA Reunion at CTCRM – 16th&17th September
  • MFM 2018 – 9th&10th March 2018

 

AOB:

  • Jayne HB believed Bob The Yank had provided the funds for the liquid refreshments at the end of the Global Challenge - Chivenor to Ilfracombe leg.  Jayne proposed that we record our thanks for his generosity.  This is not the first time Bob has done this.  Our sincere thanks to Bob.

 

 

Committee Meeting Minutes April 2017.

  • Accounts:
    • Branch: £2523.46
    • Charity: £3017.84 (£2605.16 will be going to the RMC – money collected during the Global Challenge)
    • Social: -£113.50 (shortfall for Regimental dinner to come out of branch funds)
  • Support:
    • Bruce and Phil with help from others  continue to carry out this vital work.  We have 12 primary members on our watch list along with our “Old and Bold’ and widows who we are in touch with.
    • Anyone who knows of someone who may need a visit please get in touch.  The Support Office contact and procedure is in the previous minutes.
  • Report of Recent Events:
  • The Schools Day at 11 ATT Instow:  The OC and staff at Instow send their thanks for the team that supported this Schools Day.  It was just the right approach and the children seemed to enjoy themselves.  It is important for us as a branch not to forget we have 2 Royal Marine Units in North Devon.
  • The Global Challenge: The Unit and the RM Charity have been very grateful for the work we did.  Over the 4 days we raised around £2500.  This would not have happened but for the branch support. My thanks to the team, which covered 4 days particularly our excursion to Bridgewater and Weston-S Mare.
  • The Branch Regimental Dinner:  This was a great success I think everyone enjoyed a lovely evening.  Feedback from the CO, Corps RSM, Unit RSM and the Brigadier was they thoroughly enjoyed themselves and want to pass on their thanks for the evening and the work the branch does.
  • Armed Forces Week – June 19th to 24th: The branch was involved with 2 events.  1st was the Flag raising event in Victoria Park, Bideford on the Monday evening. This went well with a detachment form 11 ATT marching with us. On Friday and Saturday RMB Chivenor was open to Schools and Public. Again this was well supported by the branch where we had our usual stand and for the first time- the RM Shop – selling RM merchandise.  This appeared reasonably successful – although we have ideas to improve this.  Thanks to Roger and Jenny Staines and their team.
  • Legion d’Honneur 21st June: On the Wedensday we honoured 9 receipients who received their Legion d’Honneur from the Hon. French Consul to the Southwest.  60 guest including Civic nd Unit representatives witnessed this ceremony.
  • The RMA Road Show 29th June at the White Ensign Club Exeter at 1900:  This was mentioned at the AGM by our President.  Representatives for the Corps and Association explained the planned convergence of the RMA & RMC Charities and how the RMA may look afterwards. There will be feedback to the branch in due course and all members will have the opportunity to vote (I think) on the 1 man 1 vote system whether this should be accepted.  The planned date of the convergence of the charities is 2018.

 

What’s Up Next.

  • Sainsbury’s 2017- 3rd to 7th July.  All who have volunteered for this will have received your timings.  With Unit support it is hoped to be another good week.  You will be advised how things have gone.

 

 Other Events for your Diary:

  • July 12th:  Possible Joiners and Leavers in the WO&SNCO’s Mess.  The bar will be open at 1800 and food should be available on a Pay as You Dine basis.
  • July 14th : Branch BBQ 1800 at the Water Sports Centre (on the far side of the airfield).  There will be a £5 charge for the BBQ. There will be a paying bar with a selection of drinks – canned beer, red, white and rose wine and some soft drinks but there will not be a full bar stock available.  We will hopefully have Roli’s Survival Road Show again.
  • July 22nd : Mess Summer Ball.  Information about this in the reception at the Sgt’s Mess
  • This is the WO's and Sgt's Mess Ball but we have been cordially invited.  There is a theme for the evening and fancy dress costume is optional. The evening will cost £20.00 to the RMA, which is a great price for what will be provided. Payment is not to the branch but to the Sgt's Mess. All the details about the evening on how to put your names down, how and who to pay, dress code and food choice are on  the board. Anyone requiring further information contact the Branch Chairman.
  •  29th/30th July: 11 ATT Instow Families and Open Day Weekend.  Instow Camp is holding a Families/Public Open Day.  This was scheduled for the 5th August but now maybe the 29th and 30th July.  If it is over 2 days there will be a Families Day on the 29th and a Public Day on the 30th.  We have been invited to attend both days.  We will have our stand and hopefully the RM Shop there to support the base (volunteers required).  If it is on 5th August the Public day will be from 1000-1400 and Families event 1500-1900.  Again we are invited to both.  There will be displays on the beach and Dip Tank and a BBQ (poss. a small charge).  When we know more we will let you know.
  • August 11th Branch Meeting: This will be held at Bideford Rugby Club  aa the Mess is closed for Summer leave.  A finger buffet will be laid on (there will be a small charge for food).
  • August 19th – The Mariners Arms, Braunton Families Day.  We held the first one last year.  The intention of thus day is to raise funds for the Royal Marine Charity.  All are welcome and we hope to provide some things of interests for the public.  There will be a BBQ and a live band.  Again a small number of volunteers are needed but all are welcome to attend.  This is a free event but normal bar and BBQ prices will apply.
  • August/September: The Chairman is planning a Swimming Challenge (15/17 miles) hopefully from Lundy to the mainland with Ex RAF Veteran Mike Culley.  The challenge is to raise funds for The Royal Marines Charity.  A website will be launched in due course.  Please support this if you can.
  • Sept 16th &17th  - RMA Reunion . I know of 10-12 of us who are attending.  This is open to all and access to CTC is by bar-coded ticket only, which is free.  The band concert, evening buffet/dance on Saturday night and buffet on the Sunday after the parade are chargeable at  £5 per person for each event.
  • MFM 2018 – I have the advanced booking form.  This year they have dropped the Thursday evening concert and replaced it with a matinee on Saturday.  There is a cut off of 11th August to make to take advantage of the preferential booking offer. There are 10 definitely attending on 10th March.

 

Security on Camp: 

  • In light of the terrorist activity checking of passes and access to camp has been tightened.  All are required to get a temporary pass from the Guardroom.   RMA membership cards are not an ID card . The security staff are following the procedure and directing visitors to the guard room.  However, some security staff may allow you through on production of your RMA membership card.  As we are guest on camp PLEASE comply, without question, with whatever the gate security instruct you to do.  In addition after 2300 ALL drivers are required to sign out at the guardroom This is to assess drivers who may have had a tipple, this is primarily targeted at the serving military but anyone leaving will be subject to this safety check and it is not meant to catch people out.

 

Benefits to All Cap Badges

  • The Committee is mindful of the variety of cap badges that we have in the branch and have discussed ensuring we support all.  We believe that everyone attending branch activities do so because they like the environment, comradeship and support we can provide.  Where support is needed we will always ensure we support everyone and sign post to appropriate agencies but will maintain a hands on relationship as well.  In addition during our annual Christmas Appeal we will look to making a donation to SSAFA (along with our other recipients), which benefits all cap badges.

 

Rural Vacancy

  • A sporting agency in North Devon are looking to employ a retired serviceman for general duties on a Landowners estate. The position will involve a mixture of responsibilities from driving, gardening or working on the land. A cottage is also available.  If you are interested, contact:
  • Piers Vaux: [email protected]; Tel: 01398341321; Mobile: 07760992904

Central Office:

  • The last Trustees minutes have been received and will appear on our website in due course.
  • It was reported at the Trustees Mtg that out of frustration regarding the RMA website some people (not North Devon) are less than polite to Central Office staff. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE behaviour.
  • Welfare Support cases are increasing year on year and the demand for psychological treatment has risen significantly.  The RMA can now enrol a patient for treatment within 2 weeks of initial contact.
  • Work is ongoing regarding the Convergence of the Charity arms of the RMA and RMC but there is emphasis that the RMA maintains it’s own identity.

 

The Branch BBQ will be July 14th at the Water Sports Centre on the Airfield at 1800. 

Numbers to John Peel by the 11th July.

Branch Minutes for May 2017.

 

A Summary of the AGM:19th May 2017 held in the Sergeants’ Mess RMB Chivenor at 1900.

 

  • Following a fish and chip dinner 28 members sat down to commence the AGM.  There were 25 apologies. The Chairman commenced the meeting by requesting we all take a moment to reflect on the life of Tommy Baddick who died on 7th May as well as thoughts for May and the family. 

 

  • Welcomes: Al Blanchard, Steve Rogers, Pete Johnson.

 

  • Matters Arising: None

 

  • Treasurers Report for 2016:

Please note this report is for January to December 2016 as this is now the RMA financial year.  A copy of the completed accounts documents and supporting information is available to look at as is the year ending 2016 for each of the 3 branch accounts.

 


    • IN -     * Personal donations to Branch: £510.00

      * Personal donations to RMA: £147.23

      * Fund Raising: £12,248.72

      * Raffles: Branch Meetings:                             £780.10

                The Annual Dinner + Xmas Party:  £1250.00

                                                 Total = £2030.10

      * Other Income - Functions etc: £1000.00


    • OUT - * Stationary etc: £278.35

      * Other Branch Expenditure: £2058.33

      * Charity Expenditure: £18,987.29

 

  • UPTO DATE CUURRENT ACCOUNTS BALANCES AS AT 19.05.2017.
    • Branch: £2143.46
    • Charity: £345.75
    • Social: £1325.00

 

The Chairman thanked Fran for her vigilance in keeping our accounts up to date and accurate.

 

  • Welfare
    • The Chairman reported that the Branch Support Officers have been keeping a watchful eye on a number of former RM’s and other cap’s over the past 12 months and contact with the widows in the branch and more senior members has been ongoing.

 

The Chairman thanked Bruce for his diligence and hard work in the role of Volunteer Support Officer for the branch.  It has been a busy year for Bruce since he took on this very important job.

 

  • The President’s Address.
    • Derek covered many subjects in his report especially outlining the values of the RMA and that the North Devon branch undoubtedly fulfilled, if not exceeded their obligations in this respect.  Other points covered:
      • One man One Vote
      • The Proposed New Look Families Day Reunion in September
      • The work of Central Office
      • The Convergence of the RMC and RMA for fund raising and a Roadshow to be held on29th June at the White Ensign Club, Exeter

 

  • The Chairman Summarised The Branch Year Covering: the following:
  • The Branch was represented and supported numerous events & The Standard was on parade  
  • The RMA Reunion
  • CLR Events that the branch had enjoyed
  • Branch Meetings & Branch Dinners:
  • Membership
  • Fund Raising: A breakdown of where the funds had been raised was give the total being £24330.26.

                     Money requested from Central Office – Nil

  • 100% contribution and publication in the Globe and Laurel and submissions to Homeport. 
  • The branch website

 

  • A Report on The RMA Central Office Covered the following:
  • Modernising the RMA to attract new and younger members.
  • With 1 man 1 vote.
  • The  RMA website
  • The Welfare Support arm of the RMA
  • Work is ongoing for the convergence of the RMA and RMC
  • Homeport Magazine.

 

  • Election of Officers and Committee.
    • All committee members were re-elected and there was one nomination to join the committee - Roger Staines.  With no objections Roger was welcomed onto the Committee.

 

  • The Chairman’s Personal Thoughts.
  • The North Devon Branch is held in high esteem at Central Office for the work we do. We still punch well above our weight and our relationship with Commando Logs enhances the reputation of the RMA within the serving Corps. 
  • Ever mindful of our multiple cap badges within our ranks I want to ensure those from other military backgrounds are valued and hope they feel they get value for money from the RMA.  It is my intention to explore this more fully.
  • I also want to ensure that all members, but particularly our more active membership, feel we operate the branch satisfactorily for all.  Again I will discuss how we do this with the committee but everyone’s input will be requested.
  • My Personal thanks to the Committee for the sterling work they do: I have already mentioned the work of Fran as Treasurer and Bruce for his diligence with the Welfare Support we give.  My thanks also go to Colin my 2 I/C for his steady guidance, advice and linkage to the serving Corps, Sue for her spelling and grammar checking and the orderly way she takes my jumble of words and puts them into something coherent, ensuring our membership are kept up to date with branch affairs, the Rafflettes- Fran and Jacky who have done an outstanding job again this year. Rev Phil Waites, who has recently come on board as another Welfare Support officer and Steve Marshall who always comes up with something at Committee meetings.
  • My thanks to all members who have supported our branch nights, dinners and fund raising activities.  I feel a special mention should be given two Unsung Hero’s, our US cousin Bob Martin and Bob Fergie who seem to not have ‘NO’ in their vocabulary and sometimes unseen to most of you support me massively when I have requested.

 

  • Other Notices + Dates Announced: 
  •  The on going Global Challenge and branch support
  •  The Forth Coming Regimental Dinner and Spring Raffle.
  •  Security Clearance to get on Camp & the New Sodexo Charges
  •  Situation Vacant in North Devon
  •  Events at 11 ATT Instow
  •  Possible Branch meeting in June.
  • Torridge Armed Forces Flag Raising & RMB Chivenor Armed Forces Open Days.
  • Roli Jones “Ride the Somme” Event

 

 

Committee Meeting Minutes: May 2017.

 

  • Accounts:
    • Branch: £2143.46
    • Charity: £345.75
    • Social: £1325.00

 

  • Support:
    • The funeral for long time branch member Tommy Baddick went very well.  A fantastic turnout by serving RM and RN personnel together with  branch members gave Tommy a fitting send off.  May and the family send their thanks for the support.  We know Tommy will be sadly missed
    • Bill Baverstock recently fell and has unfortunately broken a hip.  He is currently causing havoc in hospital with the nursing staff.
    • Branch member Arthur Prosser recently had a stroke.  Due to the severity recovery maybe slow.
    • The Support Team continue their work tirelessly.  Please let them know of any support requirements you may have or may hear about.

 

  • Graspan Parade:
    • A small group attended the recent Graspan Parade where the branch standard was on parade.

 

  • The Branch AGM:
    • Please see a summary of the meeting above.  If you didn’t attend and would like more information contact John Peel.

 

  • The Corps Global Challenge:
    • Branch representatives supported CLR and the Corps runners during the recent Global Challenge.  We were out and about over 4 of the 6 days CLR were running and went afar afield as Bridgewater and Weston.  Thanks to those who helped out it made a huge difference in our support of CLR.  So far money collected by the branch for RM Charities is approaching £2,500.  Without branch support this figure would have been far less by as much as £1,500.  The CO, RSM plus the team’s  I/C pass on their thanks.

 

  • Security on Camp:
    • As a consequence of the random strikes that seem to be occurring more and more, security access to camp has been tightened.  Please adhere to the following:
      • Carry your RMA membership card when entering camp.
      • You will be stopped at the barrier and will be asked to state your business.  Please produce your RMA membership card as confirmation of your RMA business.
      • However, this will not be accepted as access to camp and the driver plus passengers will be asked to report to the Guardroom to receive a temporary pass for the evening.
      • These passes should be handed in on departure.
    • Please treat the Security Staff with respect – they are only doing their job and please also remember it is a privilege (as well as an asset) for us to be able to use the camp and the Mess.
    • The Chairman will be discussing options to make this process easier but for now he would be grateful if you comply with these instruction.

 

  • The Branch Regimental Dinner 3rd June:
    • This event is now closed.  Confirmed VIP guest are Brigadier Charlie Hobson, The CO and RSM from CLR and the Corps RSM together with 80 guests.  A report will follow the event.

 

 

  • Proposed Branch Meeting in June 16th & Change to Food Charges;
    • The Committee has decided to hold a branch meeting on Friday 16th June subject to Mess approval.  Details at the end of the minutes.  Sodexo have made changes to their charges for food.  It has come to their attention, as civilians, we aren’t entitled to subsidies.  Consequently the new charges are £3.68 for a main course and £0.75 for a dessert.  There are specials, which are cheaper.  But the Chairman needs to understand this options and will be talking with Sodexo in due course - so please bear with us. 

Usual start time 1800 for food and 1900 for business. Names to the Chairman by 13th June.

 

  • Armed Forces Week 19th to 24th June:  
    • Flag Raising in Victoria Park Bideford will be held on the 19th June at 1830.  There is a small marching parade along the Quay to the Park where seated guests and the public will gather.  If you intend joining the event and would like to march the timings are;
      • Meet on the Quay at 1800 to step off at 1830
      • Be seated in Victoria Park by the flagstaff by 1830
      • Following the ceremony there are free refreshments at Bideford Rugby Club.

 


    • Armed Forces Open Day at RMB Chivenor 23rd and 24th June.  The event this year is over 2 days with the 23rd being for Schools and the 24th for Families and the Public.  CLR and 24 Cdo RE will have many displays and attraction on the airfield. The branch will have a stand their and are required to run this on both days 1000-1600.  We are also hopefully going to have an RM Shop and I need a couple of people to be shop assistants for the day.  However if you just want to enjoy the day please come along.

 

  • Legion d’Honneur Presentation at RMB Chivenor on 21st June at 1400:
    • A second presentation of the Legion d’Honneur will take place on the 21st June at 1400 in the Chapel or Memorial Garden area.  There are 8 recipients from North Devon – some former RM’s.  Although this is their day, branch members who would like to attend to witness this are very welcome.

 

  • The Convergence of the RMA and RMC – 29th June at the White Ensign Club, Exeter
    • As has been stated over the year work on the convergence of the RMA and RMC is ongoing.  Representatives are now in a position to give a briefing to the Regions.  A high-powered team from the RMA, The Corps and RMC will be at the White Ensign Club, Exeter, EX1 1ED at 1900 on the 29th June to brief the SW Region.  The Chairman and President(SW Region Trustee) will be at the meeting  but all branch members are encouraged to attend. There are two car parks close by which are free to use after 1830. All members of the SW Region are invited to attend.

 

  • Sainsbury’s Challenge 2017.
    • This year’s Sainsbury’s Challenge will be held from the 3rd July to the 5th July commencing at 0800 and running to 2100 daily.  As usual CLR and 11 ATT will be supporting our endeavours.  Volunteers are required  to man the RMA bike for 30 minute stints and hold buckets at the entrance. The theme this year is 1664 and we aim to peddle 1664km daily on 4 bikes.  Names of cyclists and bucket holders to the Chairman please.  It would be useful to give times and dates as well.

 

  • Supporting Events at 11 ATT Instow.
    • Although the first of these events, a Schools day held on the 31st May has already taken place your attention is drawn to a proposed event on August 5th.  This will be a Families and Public Open Day.  The Branch are invited to attend as visitors but we will also to have our stand on display.  More information will follow.  However those wishing to attend should let the Chairman know as soon as possible.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Support for Roli Jones;
    • Branch member and hard worker for the branch Roli Jones is part of a team who will be cycling 250 miles in 3 days – raising funds for SSAFA.  Please support our ‘mad Welshman’ who never fails to support our branch.  Goggle “Just Giving” and type in Roli Jones Ride to the Somme. 

 

Next Branch Meeting:

As the dinner is now earlier than originally planned we may have a branch meeting on June 16th. 

The committee will discuss this in due course.

If we do it will be the usual format

1800 – Pay as You Dine, 1900 – Branch Business, 2000 – Social to be decided.

Food to be ordered through John Peel by 13th June


 

A Summary of Branch Meeting: 7th April 2017.

 

With RMB Chivenor closed for Easter Leave the branch reconvened to the Mariners Arms in Braunton.  We had a good gathering of 18 members with 28 apologies. It was also great to see May Baddick, who popped in to say hello. The chairman started the evening off with the sad news of the passing of Dave “Tilley” Tyzack.  He read a short piece about when Tilley met Commander Buster Cradd!  Tilley was a stalwart of the branch and the 5 or 6 years he was a member was a loyal supporter taking part in everything he could.  He will be sadly missed.

Following Branch Business the members enjoyed a large buffet provided by the pub and some fun was had on the skittles aisle where a variety of skills was demonstrated – some better than others.

 

Support:

  • It was reported that JC Bowden was under treatment for an “out of step” heart valve.  He should be back amongst us next meeting.
  • Tommy Baddick is back home from hospital, which is great news.
  • We continue to keep a watchful eye on 10 people.  Bruce and Phil are sharing the work in support for those who need it. 
  • As usual if there is anyone we should know about; can you let Bruce or I know.

 

Accounts:

  •  Branch Account: £2637.31 Charity Account: £202.25 Social Account: £0.00

 

Chairman’s Report covered the following items:

 

  • Wilderness Weekend RHS Rosemoor
  • Graspan 2017
  • The AGM May 19th
  • Global Challenge 20th and 21st May
  • The Branch Regimental Dinner Saturday 3rd June
  • Legion d’Honneur Presentation 21st June
  • Sainsbury’s 2017- 3rd to 7th July.
  • Other Events
    • Joiners and Leavers:  27th April
    • An event at 11ATT Instow – 31st May. 
    • RMA Reunion – Sept 16th&17th.

 

 


 

Committee Meeting Minutes April 2017.

 

  • Accounts:
    • Branch: £2637.31
      • Transactions due: Buffet Payments in and out from Mariners Branch night, Aprils Branch Raffle.
    • Charity: £202.25
      • Deposit from Charity tin – The Mariners Arms
    • Social: £0.00

 

  • Support:
    • Branch members and the standard attended Dave “Tilley” Tyzack’s funeral on Monday 10th April.  The members formed an Honour Guard and it was a fitting send off for Tilley.  The family expressed their sincere thanks for the branch support. Thanks to those who attended.
  • If you need to escalate a Welfare/Support issues.  Below in RED is what you should do.

    • In the event of someone needing support, whether it is you or you hear of someone – the FIRST POINT OF CONTACT should be to the Branch Support Officers as they are trained to deal with the situation and are able to escalate it to other agencies including Central Office, SSAFA and the RBL.
    • Contact Numbers are as follows:


      • Bruce White – 01271 346611 – Primary Contact
      • Rev Phil Waites – 07812 366483 – Primary Contact
      • John Peel – 01237 477438   Mobile: 07845989377 – Secondary Contact
      • Colin Shearsby – 01271 813821 – Secondary Contact
      • Derek Sargent – 01237 475999   Mobile: 07868 728688 – Secondary Contact

 

  • Summary of Central Office Memo from CEO
    • Although the RMA CEO Memo was sent out in the last minutes it is felt this needs to emphasise in thee minutes. If you need more info contact the Chairman.
    • Convergence of the RMA and RMC Charities work is now underway in earnest.  The RMA will, however, remain as an active enduring veterans organisation.
    • Gift Aid – if you are  a tax payer please consider opting in for Gift Aid your annual subs to boost income received from subs by 25%.
    • ANY QUERIES ABOUT THESE TWO ITEMS CONTACT THE CHAIRMAN.

 

 

  • The Graspan Parade – May 14th
    • This is the annual RMA parade in London with a reception at the Union Jack Club.  The standard will be on parade.
    • You can book on the RMA website.  If you would like details please contact the Chairman.

 

 

  • AGM – May 19th
    • There is still time to put your name forward to join the committee.  We have had one nomination come forward. The Committee have agreed to stay in their posts.
    • During the AGM there will be a summary of the branch year, a set of accounts will be available to look at and we will also have the Presidents report. 
    • Depending on time we may have a social activity to follow.  Dinner as usual will be at 1800 and orders should be in by the previous Tuesday 16th May.

 

  • The Branch Support for the Global Challenge – May 20th & 21st
    • We are currently helping CLR plan the 2 days the Corps Team is in North Devon running 16.64 miles each day - on the 20th Chivenor to Bideford and 21st Chivenor to Ilfracombe
    • We have a piper and a number of locations where we will hold buckets and support the teams as the pass through.
    •  If anyone is interested please let the Chairman know (by email) and he will contact you with the plan.  You can then decide whether you can help.

 

  • Branch Support for the Open Day 11ATT Instow
    • We have been asked to provide our stand and a few RM branch members to attend the open Day at Instow.  We have also been asked to arrange for the RM Shop (which we may need to provide helpers to run).
    • More details to follow

 

 

  • The Branch Regimental Dinner Saturday 3rd June:
    • Places are filling quickly.  As there are limited spaces you need to get you requirements in as soon as possible to Fran – with payment please - which saves Fran extra admin to do on the night as she will be busy with the raffle.
    • Although the preferred dress is Black Tie, for those who may not have a dinner suite a smart jacket and bow tie will be acceptable – you will not get a Mess fine!
    • Books of raffle tickets are now available at £5.00.  As usual many great prizes – well done Fran and Jacky.  If you don’t plan to attend the dinner please help support the branch by requesting a book or two of raffle tickets from the Chairman to sell.  However we will need to stubs and money by the end of May to be able to enter those tickets into the draw on the night.

 

 

  • Armed Forces Week – June 19th-24th.
    • Planning is on going for the RMB Chivenor event on the 23rd and 24th June.  This is a first for CLR and promises to be a big event held on the airfield and will involve man and machine from the Unit..  We will have our stand at the event and hopefully the RMA shop but need to provide manning to run it.  Volunteers to the Chairman by email please.
    • There will also be a Flag Raising ceremony in Victoria Park, Bideford with a reception at the Rugby Club on the Monday 19th .  This normally starts at 1830.  For those parading meet on the Quay at 1800 to step off at 1830 – those sitting be in the Park for 1825. More info on this.

 

 

  • Legion d’Honneur Presentation 21st  June at 1400:  
    • There are 8 recipients including 2 branch members. Although this is a presentation for those who served on D Day and their families it would be good to have some branch presence to share in their celebration.
    • More information will come out in May

 

  • Sainsbury’s Challenge 3rd to 7th July.
    • In May the Chairman will start rallying the troops for this annual fundraiser, which takes place from the 3rd to 7th July – 0800 to 2100. It will follow the usual 5 - day format and as it is our main fund raiser we will need the usual amount of volunteers
    • We will need willing bucket holders and some more active members to walk/jog or cycle depending on what bit of kit we have.  So if you can spare any time to either hold a bucket or do a little light phys or both please let me know.  Don’t worry if you think you may not manage 30 minutes phys – for the branch team it isn’t flat out but at your own pace.
    • More information nearer the time.

 

  • Joiners and Leavers
    • The next Joiners and Leavers Mess evening is at the WO&SNCO’s Mess on Thursday April 27th – 1030 for “Pay as You Dine’ and 1930 the evening starts proper.  Future dates will be published as and when we get them.

 

  • RMA Reunion – Sept 16th&17th.
    • Information has just been published on this weeks RepNet . Tickets are availability on line.  We normally have a good attendance at this event and enter the Shooting and Quiz.  More info about this event will be published next month.

 

  • RMA ReoNet
    • Particularly for those RM cap badges in the branch but not exclusively if you don’t receive a weekly report from Central Office by email and would like to please advise the Chairman.  It is distinguishable by a picture of an RM in Blues and Pith helmet at the beginning.  There is a lot of useful news and updates on the RMA.  The latest has a statement about the future of the Royal Marines.

 

  • What’s Happening in the Next  2 Months?
    • April
    • 27th – Joiners and Leavers – WO&SNCO’s Mess 1830
    • May
    • 14th – The Graspan Parade – London
    • 19th – Branch AGM 1800 at RMB Chivenor
    • 20th & 21st – Branch support for the Corps Global Challenge
    • 31st –  Possible help needed for an event at 11ATT Instow

 

  • Possible Branch Meeting in June
    • As the Branch dinner has moved to the 3rd we may be able to have a branch meeting later that month – possibly 16th.  The committee will discuss this and let you know.

 

The Chair and Mrs Chair will be on holiday from 17th April to 3rd May inclusive.  Main contact during that time will be:

General Business:     Primary Contact: Colin Shearsby - email – [email protected]      Phone: 07737 204646

                                      Back Up: Derek Sargent: email – [email protected]           Phone: 01237475999

Support:                      Primary Contact : Bruce White – 01271 346611

                                      Back Up:  Rev Phil Waites – 07812 366483

 

 

Branch Minutes for March 2017.

 

Summary of Branch meeting: 10th March 2017.

Another excellent turnout of 28 members with 25 apologies.  We welcomed new member Ray Groves to the fold and greeted John and Liz Gingell who were over from Bournemouth for the week.  Great to see our good friends back over in this neck of the woods.  Mandy’s, Ex Jenny Wren Mum, Kay joined us again and enjoyed her evening. Following the meal we moved to the Ajax Bay Room where we held a moments silence in memory of Sybil Rowland who passed away recently.  We also passed on our sympathies to Jayne HB who sadly lost both her parents in the last few weeks.  Our thoughts are with them both.  Moving to Branch business there was the usual banter at the Chairman’s dyslexia which kept everyone amused and created a light hearted 45 minutes of business.  Following this a smaller group watched some black and white DVD’s of 1960’s SBS training.  It was great to have an older and younger perspective of the parachuting techniques.  Adjourning to the bar the last to leave departed around 2200.

The raffle raised £65.00

Support:

  • We now keep a watchful eye on 10 people.  Bruce and Phil are sharing the work in support for those who need it. 
  • As usual if there is anyone we should know about; can you let Bruce or I know.

Accounts:

  •  Branch Account: £2553.21 Charity Account: £48.56 Social Account: £0.00

Chairman’s Report covered the following items:

See the main minutes for more details

  • Thank You letters received for the Christmas Appeal donations from RMA CEO, BLESMA, RNBT and CLR RSM with a letter due from the CO.
  • Wilderness Weekend RHS Rosemoor 18th and 19th March at RHS Rosemoor.
  • The Branch Regimental Dinner Saturday 3rd June:
  • Sainsbury’s 2017.
  • B&M Store
  • The AGM May 19th.
  • Other May Events:
    • Graspan -14th
    • The Global Challenge – 20th & 21st
    • Open Day at 11 ATT Instow – 31st
  • RMA Membership
  • Future Mtgs
    • Joiners and Leavers – 27th April at 1830.
    • April Branch Mtg: 7th at 1830 at The Mariners Arms, South Street, Braunton –
    • May Branch Mtg: 19th at 1800 at the SNCO’s Mess.  This will be the AGM starting at 1900

 


 

 

 

   

 

Committee Meeting Minutes March 2017.

 

  • Accounts:
    • Branch: £2679.11
    • Charity: 168.37
    • Social: £0.00

 

  • Support:
    • Branch members and the standard attended Sybil’s Rowalnd’s funeral on Monday 20th March.  It was a fitting send off for Sybil.  The family expressed their sincere thanks for the branch support. Thanks to those who attended.
    • The Branch Support Team are to hold regular meetings to review our priority support list.  The Team are also working closely with RMB Chivenor Welfare to share information and support.
  • It has come to our attention that branch members may not be aware of how to escalate Welfare/Support issues.  Below in RED is what you should do.

    • In the event of someone needing support, whether it is you or you hear of someone – the FIRST POINT OF CONTACT should be to the Branch Support Officers as they are trained to deal with the situation and are able to escalate it to other agencies including Central Office, SSAFA and the RBL.
    • Contact Numbers are as follows:


      • Bruce White – 01271 346611 – Primary Contact
      • Rev Phil Waites – 07812 366483 – Primary Contact
      • John Peel – 01237 477438   Mobile: 07845989377 – Secondary Contact
      • Colin Shearsby – 01271 813821 – Secondary Contact
      • Derek Sargent – 01237 475999   Mobile: 07868 728688 – Secondary Contact

 

  • Christmas Appeal
    • Acknowledgements have been received from all groups we donated to: BLESMA, CLR, RNBT and Central Office.

 

  • Wilderness Weekend RHS Rosemoor 18th and 19th  March:
    • Although weather was poor the event seemed to go well.  Rosemoor were very pleased with our support and we believe the event will be happening again next year.  This is a good PR exercise for the branch and RMB Chivenor.

 

  • Mountbatten Festival of Music (MFM) 2017.
    • This years MFM was outstanding again.  The branch were represented by 10 members.  The reason for reporting this is for the first time there was live screening on the Saturday night and for a limited time this can be viewed  by going to the RMA website and clicking on the link.

 

 

 

 

 

  • April’s Branch Meeting – 7th April The Mariners Arms.
    • We have booked the Mariners Arms, South Street, Braunton for our April meeting. The venue change is due to the Mess being close for Unit Leave.  It will commence at 1830.
    • We will be upstairs in the Function Suite/Skittles Room
    • A buffet will be provided for a small charge (£3).
    • This will be a social evening and we hope to make use of the skittles alley but it’s NOT Compulsory. Free parking at the Caen Street carpark 2 minutes walk from the pub.
    • So we can cater for all please let the Chairman know by Tuesday 4th April at the very latest.

 

  • Quiz Night – RNA Bude – 10th April – A Request from RNA Bude.
    • The RNA Bude are holding a quiz night on 10th April.  The aim is to get 100 people involved to commemorate a 100th anniversary event believed to be the annual Army/Navy game held at Twickenham.  They have invited North Devon to take a team down.  If anyone is interested in this please contact the Chairman.

 

  • The Graspan Parade – May 14th
    • This is the annual RMA parade in London with a reception at the Union Jack Club.  The standard will be on parade.
    • You can book on the RMA website.  If you would like details please contact the Chairman.

 

  • AGM – May 19th
    • The Committee have agreed to stay in their posts.
    • However if there is anyone who would like to put their name forward please do so by the 14th April.

 

  • The Branch Support for the Global Challenge – May 20th & 21st
    • The RMA have been requested to support the RMC Corps Global Challenge. A Corps team is running 16.64 miles each day for 100 days.  On the 20th May they arrive in North Devon and will  be running from RMB Chivenor to Bideford on the 20th May and RMB Chivenor to Ilfracombe on the 21st May. CLR have requested branch support to bucket rattle etc..  Please watch this space as we will need a few volunteers for each day but it won’t be long hours.  Name to John Peel.

 

  • Branch Support for the Open Day 11ATT Instow
    • We have been asked to provide our stand and a few RM branch members to attend the open Day at Instow.  We have also been asked to arrange for the RM Shop (which we may need to provide helpers to run).
    • More details to follow

 

 

 

 

  • The Branch Regimental Dinner Saturday 3rd June:
    • Attached with these minutes is the proforma for this year Regimental dinner.  Please read it carefully and book your seats as soon as possible.  If you have never been before this is our version of a formal Regimental Dinner with some of the customs that are carried out at Mess dinners.  However we are a little more relaxed with our approach.  It is an outstanding evening and we have again been honoured with some special VIP guests.  As always following the formal party there is a few hours to let your hair down or relax in the bar or take your leave and go home. Please support this the main branch event of the year.

 

  • Armed Forces Week – June 19th-24th.
    • Planning on going for the RMB Chivenor event on the 23rd and 24th June.  The is a first and promises to be a big event held on the airfield and involves the men and women of CLR.  We will have our stand at the event and hopefully the RMA shop but need to provide manning.
    • There should also be a Flag Raising ceremony in Victoria Park, Bideford with a reception at the Rugby Club on the Monday 19th.  We are awaiting more info on this.

 

  • Sainsbury’s Challenge 3rd to 7th July.
    • More information nearer the time.  It will follow the usual 5 - day format and as our main fund raiser we will need our usual amount of volunteers, physical and bucket holders.

 

  • Updates with CLR
    • The next Joiners and Leavers Mess evening is at 1830 on Thursday April 27th.  Future dates will be published as and when we get them.

 

  • Central Office.
    • A letter has been published by the Commandant General RM regarding Al Blackman.  If you haven’t see it and would like to please make a request through the branch Chairman.
    • Attached is a memo from CEO – Mike Ellis primarily about RMA/RMC Convergence.  However North Devon gets a mention about it’s successes!
    • Central Office continues to work on the membership. If anyone has an issue with their membership please right all details down including:
      •  Membership No, Expiry Date, How you Pay, When next payment due & Your query.
      • Pass these details to the Chairman not Central Office.  John will endeavour to sort it out.  Please be assured any membership issues will not affect your access to the branch and RMB Chivenor.

 

 

  • What’s Happening Next  2 Months?
    • April
    • 7th – The Mariners Arms – Skittle Night – 1830 start.  The evening will include a buffet.
    • 27th – Joiners and Leavers – WO&SNCO’s Mess 1830
    • May
    • 14th – The Graspan Parade – London
    • 19th – Branch AGM 1800 at RMB Chivenor
    • 20th & 21st – Branch support for the Corps Global Challenge
    • 31st – Support for Open day at 11ATT Instow

 

 

Branch Minutes for February 2017.

 

Summary of Branch Meeting: 10th  February 2017.

 

As usual the meeting was held at the WO&SNCO’s Mess.  An excellent turnout of 26 members attended with 31 apologies.  We welcomed new members Nick Harrop, Richard and Linda Martin and also Paul “Mitch” Mitchell, who always promised that when he left the Corps he would be able to support the branch more.  Great to see you good people.   After scran we moved to the Ajax Bay Room for what the Chairman promised to be a shorter business section.  Timed by Edd Sambrook, the Chairman achieved a record, beating the previous time set by Col Sheasby.  The actual reason for the briefer business section was to allow our guest, Mark Ormrod as much time as he wanted to entertain the group.  A massive impact.  Mark’s presentation was hugely motivating and clearly put into perspective why we as a branch do what we do.  All went away with a different outlook on their lives and their futures.  Our thanks to Mark.

 

The raffle raised £60 for branch funds.

 

Support:

  • Thanks was expressed to branch member - Bob Martin who has been  keeping an eye on a former RM QMS Spike Hughes and his wife in Combe Martin.
  • Bruce continues to cover our support for those who need it.  A meeting has been arranged with Bruce and Phil (Waites) our other VSO to structure future visits and contact with our list.
  • Jacko (Jackson) updated the branch on Masie Roe’s progress.  It is likely she will need a further operation.  He will keep us informed.
  • As usual if there is anyone we should know about; can you let Bruce or I know.

Accounts:

  •  Branch Account: £2723.22 Charity Account: £38.56 Social Account: £0.00
  •  See main minutes for details of what was discussed.
  •  

Chairman’s Report covered the following items:

See main minutes for details:

  • RMA Membership
  • Wilderness Weekend RHS Rosemoor 17th and 18th March:
  • The Branch Regimental Dinner Saturday 3rd June:
  • Sansibury’s 2017.
  • B&M Home Store
  • Homeport
  • Joiners and Leavers
  • Future Meeting:
    • 10th March Branch Mtg – SNCO Mess – Social to be decided.
    • 7th April Branch Mtg  – Skittles Night at The Mariners Arms – Details to follow.

 

 

 

Committee Meeting Minutes February 2017.

 

  • Accounts:
    • Branch: £2723.22
    • Charity: £38.56
    • Social: £0.00
      • All monies raised last year in the Charity Account have been sent off to Central Office for dispersal.
      • The Accounts for 2016 are being completed, approved and will be sent off to Central Office.  If anyone would like to see a copy of the accounts let the Chairman know.  However we are trying to save the world hence not wanting to print off paper copies.
      • As is required by the Charity Commission we have to return the Charity account to zero and transfer any surplus funds from the social account to the Branch Account.  This has been done.

 

  • Support:
    • The Committee would like to thank Bob Martin for keeping an eye on a former RM Spike Hughes living in Combe Martin.
    • The Veterans Charity – Barnstaple.  The Chairman met the co-ordinator of this group and agreed to supply a pack that can be given to potential RM’s in need of support.
    • Chivenor Welfare: A leaving pack together which will include an intro to the RMA and quarterly newsletter from welfare will inc. a piece on the branch.
    • Bruce and the Chairman continue to manage the list of those who need some sort of support. As usual inform Bruce or John if there is anyone who needs a follow up.

 

 

  • Christmas Appeal
    • Money has been sent to Central Office.  We are awaiting notification of it’s dispersal.  Then a letter will be sent to BLESMA, CLR and RNBT from the branch explaining how the donations were raised.

 

  • Wilderness Weekend RHS Rosemoor 17th and 18th March:
    • Our next outing is to RHS Rosemoor on the 17th and 18th March to take part in their Wilderness Weekend.  We hope to have the branch stand, Roli’s Roadshow, a weapons stand and a Medical Field Station from CLR on display for the public.

 

  • AGM – May 19th
    • Nominations for positions
    • Additional Volunteers to join the Committee
    • Cut off dates for nominations – 14th April

 

  • The Branch Regimental Dinner Saturday 3rd June:      PLEASE NOTE THE DATE CHANGE
    • There has been an issue with our booking on the 10th June – it is not now available.
    • The new date is 3rd June. Our VIP guest, Brigadier Charlie Hobson has confirmed attendance.  Charlie was our Branch President for many years, CO here at CLR, Chief Exec of the RMA and now a Trustee.  Other guests include the CO CLR,  CRSM Phil Gilby, RSM Tim Jukes and the OC Instow.
    • For your £25 you will receive a Welcome Drink, a Pipe Band Display, 4 Course meal, Toasting Port and disco – good value I would say.

 

  • Sainsbury’s Challenge 3rd to 7th July.
    • We have now had confirmation from Sainsbury’s that they want us back from the 3rd to 7th July for our annual Support Appeal for RM Charities.  CLR have already committed to supporting this.

 

  • Armed Forces Week – June 19th-24th.
    • As part of Armed forces Week the CO is keen to hold a Families Day at RMB Chivenor.  To that end and in conjunction with the North Devon Vets Association group, who have held an Expo at Pilton School in the past, the Unit are prepared to set up a bigger event on the airfield on the 23rd (Schools) and 24th June (Families Open Day).
    • We are hoping to have representation from Central Office and the RMC.  We are also hoping to have the RM Shop – but have been requested for manpower to run it.

 

  • B&M Home Store
    • B&M have requested we create a information display about the RMA, the Branch and RMB Chivenor in their Staff Room.  They have also offered us a fund raising week.  Don’t worry it will only be one day bucket rattling – the rest of the week will be static buckets on the tills.

 

  • Updates with CLR
    • The next Joiners and Leavers Mess evening is at 1830 on Wednesday 22nd February.  For those who haven’t attended this is a very enjoyable evening with the Mess members.  Future dates will be published as and when we get them.

 

 

  • RMA Membership/Central Office.
    • The Chairman of the RMA has recently sent out a memo regarding membership issues and frustrations that are being felt my members.
    • The Branch Committee has been working with the Marketing Team who manage the website and have highlighted names of members who’s membership appear to be out of date. 
    • Central Office are working hard to resolve any issues, which in part is to do with automating the membership system.  They have a very small team of staff and not enough hours in the day to deal directly with every ones individuals issues.  Unfortunately they are also finding individuals from other branches very rude and inconsiderate when trying to resolve those issues.

In light of the Memo - a reasonable request from your Chairman. If you have any issues with the RMA – such as membership, buying tickets for events, news, policies etc please contact the Chairman in the first instance not Central Office – the Committee might have the answer and will definitely know how to get the issue sorted.

 

  • Homeport
    • Your comments have been submitted to our Regional Chairman.  Updates when we have them

 

  • Fund Raising 2017:
    • We will have a couple of buckets at The Wilderness Weekend at RHS Rosemoor.
    • Sainsbury’s booked for July 3rd to 7th.  I need to speak to PT Dept Unit co-ordination.
    • The committee are exploring other ideas at BJ’s in Bideford, Wilko’s and Asda, Barnstaple.
    • B&M Store in Barnstaple would like us to produce a Information Display in their Staff Room to raise awareness of the branch etc.  They have agreed a week where we can have buckets on their tills and do a 1 Day cycle challenge.
    • Former RM and Branch member - Al Blanchard has approached the Chairman with an idea to do a North Devon Speed March similar to Cdo999 in London. Further discussions to take place.

 

  • What’s Happening Next  2 Months?
    • March
    • 10th Branch Night – WO&SNCO’s Mess
    • 18th/19th – Wilderness Weekend RHS Rosemoor
    • 23rd-25th – Mountbatton Festival of Music – The Royal Albert Hall
    • April – PLEASE NOTE THE DATE CORRECTION FROM WHAT WAS STATED AT THE LAST MEETING  THE 14TH IS GOOD FRIDAY.
    • 7th – The Mariners Arms – Skittle Night – 1830 start.  The evening will include a buffet

 



 

Branch Minutes for January 2017.

 

Summary of Branch Meeting: 13th January 2017.

 

This months meeting was held in the WO&SNCO’s Mess RMB Chivenor as usual.  We had 25 members attending this meeting with 27 apologies.  We welcome Mac Grenney back after hip surgery and Del (SSAFA Rep for Ilfracombe) and friend of Margie Kempson. After the meal we reconvened to the Ajax Bay Room where everyone listened to the Chairman’s rambles.  Bullet points of what was covered are below.  Following the business meeting we moved back to the bar to ‘piped in the Haggis’ by Mike Harper. Mike then gave an English translation of the Ode to the Haggis, recited it as Robbie Burns had written in a Scottish/Devon twang followed by a toast with JC’s fine whisky, quick game of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” with Dave Rowlands winning £20 and John Davis and Jayne HB £5 each. 

 

The raffle raised £69 with £30 being provided as the cash prizes.

 

Support:

  • There were grateful thanks from Dennis Small’s family for the send off for Dennis.
  • Chairman passed on best wishes and thanks to the branch from all our widows for their Christmas gift
  • A thank you letter from Sgt Jake Roe was read out by Jacko.  Edd suggested that we may like to offer further support if required.  It was agreed that Jacko will keep us informed of Mazie’s progress and if there is anything further we can do.
  • Former RM Mac Huttons funeral is on Tuesday 17th January at 1220 at the crematorium – a low key event with no contact with the family or Funeral Directors..
  • As usual if there is anyone we should know about - can you let Bruce or the chairman.

 

Accounts Report to Members Present:

  • Branch Account: £2,417.67 Charity Account: £7,449.86 Social Account: £808.55
  • The Chair briefed all that payments were due to various parties so these figures would change soon.

 

Chairman’s Report covered the following items:

See main minutes for more details.

  • RMA Christmas Appeal Results and where the money was going.
  • Branch Christmas Party and Regimental Dinner 2017. 
  • Memo’s from Central Office re CGRM, Mark Ormrod and the 1664 Challenge.
  • New possible fund raising locations for 2017.
  • The RMA Websites – Branch and National updated by Chairman.
  • JC’s Presentation of Certificate from Central office a letter of commendation.
  • Branch Cabinet in the Mess to display branch awards etc.
  • Homeport – feedback regarding it’s suitability as a replacements for the RMA Magazine.
  • The Branch Calendar.
  • Other Business: 
    • Jayne HB enquired whether we knew RSM Phil Gilby had received an MBE.  Our congratulations to him.
    • Mrs Chair – Jacky P thanked everyone present for the raffle prize donations restocking her supply for the coming year.
    • Tom Rivenberg made a suggestion as our next VIP guest for the Regimental dinner.  This will be taken to Committee and considered along with other suitable personnel.

Committee Meeting Minutes January 2017.

 

  • Accounts:
    • Branch: £2,417.67
    • Charity: £7,449.86
    • Social: £808.55
      • A number of transactions are due out of the all accounts and we have to complete year end accounts for Central Office.  So there will be changes to these figures in the next week or so.  However for info we have made the following donations:
        • £150.00 - Chivenor Children’s Christmas Party
        • £270.00 -  Royal Marines Charity raised by Mike Durran from his 1000 Mile Ramble,
        • £7,179.86 -  RMA from our Christmas Appeal with approved donations of £1,400 to CLR Welfare and £700.00 each to BLESMA and RNBT

 

  • Support:
    • We are liaising with The Veterans Charity – Barnstaple so we can share information regarding former RM’s and RN’s who may need our support. 
    • Sgt Roes and family were blown away by the branch generosity and sent a letter of thanks.  Jacko will continue to liaise with them re Mazie’s recovery.
    • The Committee are in contact with the CLR Unit Welfare team and will be contributing to a leaving pack so local RM’s and RN’s know we are their if they need support.  Also they are considering producing a quarterly Welfare Newsletter, which the branch has been invited to contribute to.
    • Bruce and the Chairman continue to manage the list of those who need some sort of support. As usual inform Bruce or John if there is anyone who needs a follow up.

 

  • Christmas Appeal
  • The Committee would like to thank the branch for a very successful and well-supported effort with great support from CLR which, include tin and other donations through the year comes to a total of £7,179.86
  • The distribution of the total raised is ongoing with Central Office as follows:
  • CLR Welfare - £1,400.00
  • RNBT - £700.00
  • BLESMA - £700.00
  • The balance to the RMA- £4,379.86
  • We successfully had “Thank You” articles printed in Journal and Gazette.  Although this is a requirement by North Devon District Council it is good to be able to thank all the public in North Devon for their generosity.  We have also submitted our returns from the collection in Barnstaple to NDDC Licencing Office.
    • We have had approval from Central Office and a thank you from Ops manager Richie Puttock who says:

“Can I also take this opportunity to thank you, and all those that helped you raise such an astounding amount of money over that period of time and you are a great example of what can be achieved with the right amount of effort and teamwork.”

 

 

  • Branch Christmas Party: 16th December 2016.

    • This was a great success with excellent food, good service and enjoyable entertainment.  Thanks to Derek for his quiz and the Rafflettes, Fran and Jacky, for another outstanding raffle.

 

  • Updates with CLR
    • We have had confirmation from the Mess manager that all our requirements for 2017 are approved.
    • The Chairman had an excellent introductory meeting with the CO, Lt Col Dave Nicholson.  He reports that the CO is very supportive of the RMA and will endeavour when possible to ensure support to the branch at local events is provided.

 

  • Fund Raising 2017:
    • The RMC Support Appeal 2017 at Sainsbury’s – July.
    • The Branch Christmas Appeal in December at Tesco’s Ilfracombe and Braunton, Morrison’s Bideford and Barnstaple Pannier Market and High Street. Will be booking Tesco’s Braunton and Barnstaple for again.
    • Invitations have also been received from BJ’s in Bideford (through Rodney Oke) and Asda Barnstaple (through Tom and Fran), Wilko’s and possibly B&M in Whiddon Valley.
    • We have been asked to arrange a rugby match between CLR and Bideford RFC.  We are looking at the feasibility of making it a charity event.

 

  • AGM
    • The AGM has been provisionally arranged for May 19th – this is to be confirmed 
    • The Committee have volunteered to stand again. 
    • Due to the nature of the roles of the Treasurer, Secretary and Support Officer these positions are not available.  However nominations for the other positions or to join the committee as an Ex-Officio Officer will be put forward at the AGM.
    • Nominees should have 2 sponsors and send their nomination to the Chairman no later than April 5th.
    • The committee would be pleased to have some additional help in managing the branches affairs.

 

  • Wilderness Weekend – RHS Rosemoor, March 18th & 19th.
    • We have been invited to RHS Rosemoor again this year for this event.  The plan is to have Roli’s Roadshow, The Branch Stand, a Weapons Tent, and hopefully Med Sq 1st Aid Field Station.  I number of volunteers have already stepped forward.  But if you would like to help please let the Chairman know asap.

 

  • Branch Regimental Dinner
    • Our Regimental Dinner will be held in the WO&SNCO’s Mess on 10th June commencing at 1800.
    • For those considering attending this is a more formal evening so some advanced guidance:
      • Dress Code is as follows:-
      • Men – Black Tie and medals or Mess Dress for serving personnel.
      • Ladies – appropriate dresses (normally long dress) but below the knee is acceptable or trouser suits if this is a more comfortable option.
      • Welcome drink at 1800hrs Mess Beatings at 1830hrs Call to dinner 1900hrs
      • The evening will include a 4 course dinner (menu to be confirmed and circulated near the time) port for toasts, raffle, speeches and presentations followed by a disco with late bar.
      • The cost will be £25 per person.
    • The main VIP guest is Brigadier Charlie Hobson & Mrs Trish Hobson.
    • The committee have so far approved the following VIP guests – CO+1, RSM+1, OC Instow+1, the CRSM+1. 
    • Dinner pro-formas will be sent out nearer the time.

 

  • Calendar
    • Secretary Sue Shearsby has produced the branch calendar again this year complete with many dates of events etc that have been confirmed.  Please use this as your aide memoir of the branch year.  However, dates can change at the last minute.  So as usual the committee will publish any new ventures and also the next 2 months events in the minutes each month.  The calendar on the branch website will also be updated now we have dates confirmed.
    • Some dates of note up to June are published at the end of these minutes to start you off.

 

  • Membership. 
    • The Chairman is aware of some membership issues.  He would like to reassure everyone that even though it may say your membership has expired – it probably hasn’t and in any case it will not affect your membership of the branch.
    •  If you have an issue please contact the Chairman giving comprehensive details of membership date, payment method and any problems you are experiencing.  He will try to resolve it.
    • For those who are new to the branch and may not be a member of the RMA please consider joining.  Your membership fee alone will support the Association financially.  Need help - contact The Chairman or go online to : www.royalmarinesassociation.org.uk and in the top right corner, click on the link JOIN US.  That will take you to the relevant page.  Remember to put down North Devon as your branch of choice.

 

  • RSM’s Received Royal Recognition:
    • Congratulations to WO1 CRSM Phil Gilby and WO1 RSM Bruce Riach on receiving MBE’s in the New Years Honours List – both well deserved.  Branch cards have been sent to both.

 

  • Legion d’Honneur
    • The Chairman is in contact with French Consul to try to arrange another formal presentation at RMB Chivenor.  There are 7 potentials recipients including branch members.
    • CO and RSM are very keen for this to happen.
    • More information when we get it.

 

  • Central Office News
    • Letter from CGRM was published on RepNet outlining the health of the Corps and importance of the RMA.
    • Tickets for RMA events for 2017: These will be available on the RMA website shortly. If you are having issues with the website such as logging on, or purchasing tickets you can contact Central Office on [email protected] or [email protected]
    • The Annual Graspan Parade: The service and Reception will take place on Sunday 14th May 2017.  Tickets for the Parade and Reception at the UJC are available on the RMA website. If you want to attend and have difficulty getting tickets please contact the Chairman.  Please also advise him if you intend attending this parade.
    • Vote for The Royal Marines Charity: Please help The Royal Marines Charity win the next opportunity to do a bucket collection at a Chelsea football match at Stamford Bridge – closing date 15th February.  Check out RepNet week ending 13th January 2017 and follow the link or.
      • Google “Chelsea FC”
      • Select “Club”
      • Select “The Chelsea Foundation”
      • Select “Next Chance to vote for Match Day Collection Charity”
      • Select “Charity Collection Poll”
      • Select “The Royal Marines Charity” and complete your details.

 


    • Homeport: Request from Regional Chair – Derek Sargent for feedback as was agreed after a year. This was discussed at the January branch mtg and a bullet point list of comments passed to Derek.  The general feeling as Homeport was a poor substitute for the old RMA magazine with the RMA unique identity being lost.  If any other branch member who didn’t attend January’s branch meeting has any thoughts please email to John Peel. 
    • Mark Ormond’s Request. Mark is starting a project about his life after injuries in Afghan to be released at his 10-year anniversary.  He is seeking help.
    • 1664 RMA Challenge.  The request has gone out for The RM Charity for 1664 RMA members to sign up to pledge to raise £100 before October 28th 2017.  The Committee has signed up the branch to do a team challenge and the Chairman has signed up to do an individual challenge.

 

  • Branch Display Cabinet in the Mess
    • The RSM is very enthusiastic about the idea of having an RMA display cabinet in the Mess.  Further discussions will now take place to establish where and how big.

 

  • RMA Websites:
    • Branch: The branch website has been updated the branch website with most sections now up to date – such as Branch Activities, Globe and Laurel, Central Office info and the Photo album.  www.rmand16641664.webs.com
    • National: An article has also submitted articles to the RMA national website about what we’ve been up to this summer. www.royalmarinesassociation.org.uk.  Also trying/have submitted photos to our Gallery and Obits (Dennis Small).

 

  • Dates to be Noted
    • February
    • 10th – Branch Night – WO&SNCO’s Mess – we are seeking to arrange for a very special guest speaker but until we have confirmation we cannot say who.
    • March
    • 10th Branch Night – WO&SNCO’s Mess
    • 18th/19th – Wilderness Weekend RHS Rosemoor
    • April
    • 7th - Due to Mess closure and Unit Leave we have to find an alternative venue. 

The Committee thought we would try something different so we have booked The Mariners Arms South Street Braunton for a Skittles Night and buffet.  We have exclusive use of their function/skittles room. There will be a minimal charge for the buffet.  So even if you don’t want to participate in the ‘friendly’ game of Skittles then please feel free to come along for the buffet (and if you so wish bring your other half). There is free car parking in Caen car park close to the pub.


    • May
    • 19th – AGM -WO&SNCO’s Mess -TBC
    • 14th – Graspan Parade Horse Guards London
    • June
    • 10th – Branch Regimental Dinner – 1800 – WO&SNCO’s Mess